50 States Assignment Satisfaction

Q: Where can I get a brief overview of USAREC and Recruiting duty?


Q: Where can I get the current forms and documents required for my recruiting packet?


DA Selectees:https://sites.google.com/a/goarmy.com/recruit-the-recruiter-team/da-selected-recruiters

Q: What is the difference between a DA Selected Recruiter and a Volunteer Recruiter?

A: DA Selected Recruiters are NCOs whose branches have nominated them for duty as Recruiters. Each MOS branch is responsible for assigning Soldiers to special duties such as Recruiter. If you meet the criteria, you could very well be DA Selected for this assignment. there is a similar program for selecting Drill Sergeants. For Example, last FY over 1,000 NCOs were selected to serve outside their PMOS, sent to recruiting school and assigned as needed by the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC).
Volunteer Recruiters on the other hand, complete a volunteer recruiter packet and send it to USAREC's Recruit the Recruiter team  or take it to one of the Division Outreach NCOs for review. Once all requirements are met the respective branch is notified. Please note that even if a volunteer packet is approved by USAREC branches make the final decision to release or not release Soldiers to USAREC.

Q: How do new Recruiter assignments work?

A: The assignments team will look at your Assignment Preference Map and will look for available positions at the locations you have selected. Be advised that all  new Recruiter assignments are based on USAREC priority needs.

Q: What does the Recruiter Background Investigation (RBI) consist of?

A: The RBI consists of the following checks:

1) OMPF - NCOERs and Restricted Fiche

2) CFSC - Family advocacy

3) TIG

4) EO

5) CCF (Central Clearance Facility) - US Army INSCOM sends out checks to multiple agencies

6) Favorable National Agency Check with Law and Credit (NACLC)

Q: I went to the Assignment Satisfaction Key program (ASK) and volunteered. Now they tell me that I am a DA-select. Why?

A: In order for you to be considered as a volunteer, you must have submitted an original volunteer application to the Recruit the Recruiter Team at Fort Knox (not your Branch Manager). This application must have been submitted prior to being placed on DA-select orders. If you did submit an original volunteer application prior to being DA-selected, you will then be considered as a volunteer.

Q: Can you explain how I will transition into USAREC, both from a CONUS or OCONUS assignment?

A: CONUS based Soldiers: (1) go to the Army Recruiting Course (ARC) TDY and return to their parent unit, (2) with or without dependents, PCS and report to their new recruiting battalion.

A: OCONUS based Soldiers: (1) with or without dependents, PCS to their assigned recruiting center first, (2) at first feasible school date, go to the ARC TDY, returning to their recruiting center once completing the ARC. Exceptions are granted in exceptional circumstances.

Q: Are there any resources available to assist me during my PCS to USAREC?

A: To begin planning your move, you can take advantage of a great resource called "Plan My Move". For more information, please go to http://apps.militaryonesource.mil/MOS/f?p=PMM:ENTRY:0.

Q: Where will I live while I am a Recruiter?

A: Housing is your decision. You can rent, buy or if you are located near a military installation, apply for quarters. You may also take advantage or Government Leased Housing. For more information on GLH, please go to http://www.usarec.army.mil/fhp/. Your sponsor can send you housing information well in advance. So you can get a preview of costs and locations. It is recommended that you live near your assigned recruiting station.

Q: I attended a Recruit the Recruiter presentation over a year ago but I did not complete the application. I have been DA-selected. Can I still be considered as a volunteer?

A: NO. Attendance at a Recruit the Recruiter brief does not make you a volunteer. You must have submitted an original volunteer application within the last six months.

Q: I contacted the battalion that I want to recruit from and I got a letter of acceptance. Does this guarantee the assignment?

A: NO, it does not. The battalions do not grant the assignments. All of our assignments are given at the USAREC, G1. Letters of acceptance are not supposed to be issued. After you have received the battalion level assignment from the Recruit the Recruiter Team, then you can contact that battalion to work on company/center level pin-point assignment.

Q: I have always been a successful Soldier, can I be certain that my success will continue in USAREC?

A: Your success will continue! Upon completion of the Army Recruiting Course (ARC), you will be trained and ready to perform your duties as a Recruiter. However, your training will not end with the ARC. You will be placed in a six month transitional program, called the New Recruiter Program. These six months are non-rated, allowing you time to become proficient in the eight recruiting functions of a Recruiter.

Q: Where will my dependents go for medical/dental/emergency support?

A: As a Recruiter, you will use TRICARE Prime if you're located next to a military installation or TRICARE Prime Remote if you are not located near a military installation. Each recruiting battalion has a Health Care Advisor that will brief you upon arrival and show you how your family's medical needs will be met.

Q: Will I be able to change my MOS to 79R if I want to remain a Recruiter longer than the standard three year tour?

A: You can request to convert to MOS 79R as early as 15 months as a recruiter, but in most instances you must have 24 months or more. You will receive appropriate counseling from your chain-of-command should you decide to convert. This is a career decision that you must make. If you choose not to convert or if your conversion is denied you will complete your three year tour and return to you MOS.

Q: I recently completed a PCS to a CONUS station. When can I apply for recruiting duty?

A: You can apply after you have 12 or more months on station, because by the time you get selected and PCS to your recruiting battalion, you will have close to or more than 24 months on station. Generally, Soldiers are stabilized at CONUS installations for 24 months after a PCS.

Q: I am stationed OCONUS; when can I apply for recruiting duty?

A: For long tour areas, you must complete 2/3rds of your tour. This means you must have between 6 months and 1 year remaining until DEROS. For short tour areas (1 year tours) you must have between 6-10 months until DEROS. You cannot apply prior to meeting these requirements because we cannot reassign you until your DEROS assuming you are qualified and selected. We do not have the authority to curtail your tour. Also, if you have less than the required 6 months, you probably already have a return assignment, or soon will have one and we cannot get you diverted into the Recruiter Program. If you want to become a Recruiter, you need to apply as soon as you meet the time on station requirement and not wait until you have the minimum amount of time left until DEROS.

Q: I am currently on assignment orders or in a fenced unit. Is it possible to be selected for recruiting duty for initial volunteers or convert to 79R for prior recruiters?

A: No. If you are already on assignment orders, you will have to PCS and wait 12 months prior to submitting application to recruiting duty or requesting conversion to 79R. However, it is strongly recommended that you contact your Branch manager and explain your intent to volunteer for recruiting duty or convert to 79R to see if they will agree to take you off of assignment. In order to be released from a fenced unit, you will need to get a DA4187 requesting fence release approved by your BDE CDR.

Q: I am not sure if I am qualified, because I am a SGT (P), married with two children and I pay child support for one other child.

A: The limit on family members (including spouse) for a SGT (P) is 3 family members. You have a spouse, plus 2 children for a total of 3, but you must count the 1 child for which you pay child support. With a total of 4 family members, you are not eligible without a waiver. If you feel you have a strong record and have adequate spendable income, you may submit an application and it will be reviewed to determine if a waiver will be granted. In counting family members, you should include all family members that reside with you (including spouse) and any children for which you pay child support.

Q: I have a tattoo on my arm, will this affect my eligibility?

A: You cannot have any tattoos that may be perceived as offensive, sexist, distasteful, gang related, etc. and you must provide a photo of each tattoo that is clear in detail and clearly shows each tattoo, except those in private areas. Tattoos beyond the t-shirt collar, anywhere on the head, neck, face or wrist are not authorized with the exception of one wedding band tattoo on the ring finger below the second joint.

Q: I declared bankruptcy 6 years ago, can I apply to become a recruiter?

A: Yes, you can apply because you bankruptcy was over 3 years ago, but the bankruptcy may be a factor in your selection. You cannot have had a bankruptcy within the past 3 years, cannot have current credit problems and must have adequate discretionary income.

Q: I have a GED, can I qualify?

A: Yes, if you have 30 semester hours of college beyond the GED. CLEP or DANTES credit is not acceptable. You may also get a waiver if you have deployment history.

Q: What are the Time in Service (TIS) and Time in Grade (TIG) limits?

A: SGT: maximum 10 years TIS, no TIG restriction; SGT (P) or SSG: maximum 12 years TIS, no TIG restriction; SSG(P) or SFC: maximum 14 years TIS (waivable up to 16.5 years TIS which must not occur prior to selection) and maximum 2 years TIG for SFC. Waivers are possible, based on the whole Soldier Concept. However, no waiver is authorized for the SFC TIG standard except 11B SFCs up to 3 years TIG.

Q: I am a SSG who is 40 years old. Can I apply?

A: The age standard is: must be at least 21 years old, but not exceed 35. You can apply but you will require a waiver since you exceed the age limit by four years (35 for SSG). Your waiver will be evaluated at USAREC after a review of your entire application. No age waivers authorized for SMs over 45 years of age.

Q: I only have 18 months until ETS. Can I apply?

A: Yes, you can apply but you will eventually have to reenlist or extend to have 3 years service remaining after completion of the Army Recruiting Course (ARC). We do not enforce this requirement when you submit your application, but if you are selected, you will have to extend or reenlist before your orders to attend the ARC are published.

Q: I have a family member enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP). Can I qualify?

A: There are no established restrictions. However, you must provide a copy of your family member(s) enrollment in the EMFP with your application.

Q: I have a P3 profile and my MMRB states I can stay in the Army, but not in my PMOS. Can I apply to become a Recruiter?

A: NO. If you are required to reclassify, you are not eligible for the program. Once you have held your new MOS for one year and meet the other qualifications, you may apply.

Q: I received a summarized Article 15 last year. Can I apply?

A: An Article 15 does not preclude you from applying, but it might be a factor in your selection. For us to make a decision, you must include a copy of all Article 15s, including summarized. If you cannot find a copy of the Article 15, then include a memo explaining the charge(s) and punishment administered.

Q: I am a prior Recruiter and I would like to go back on recruiting duty. Is this possible?

A: Yes it is possible. You must meet the same prerequisites as everyone else and then provide additional documentation with your application. Prior Recruiters (previously awarded SQI 4) must include the following: (1) All NCOERs from the time entered into recruiting duty until present; (2) All point sheets from prior recruiting duty and orders for highest level recruiting award; (3) A copy of your highest Recruiter award (GB, 1SS, 2SS, 3SS, Recruiter Ring, Medallion); and (4) A DA4187 requesting reclassification to 79R.

Q: How does choosing or being selected for the 79R Conditional Promotion Consideration/current MOS during the SFC Centralized Promotion Board affect my application for conversion or the MOS Conversion Bonus?

A: Choosing or being selected for the 79R Conditional Promotion Consideration does not affect your application. If selected, it will expedite Branch release if approved for conversion. You will retain your promotion sequence number and be promoted accordingly before or after reclassification. If selected for promotion to SFC, you will no longer be eligible for the MOS CB due to only SSGs non-promotable and below are eligible.

Q: I want to convert and request assignments into: Army Medical Department (AMEDD), Chaplain, Warrant Officer, Special Operations Recruiting Battalion (SORB) or other SMU/Special Assignments. When can I apply for these assignments?

A: Newly converted 79Rs cannot request Special Assignments during their conversion process. They must first become branch certified as a 79R and complete 24 months rated time as a Center Commander with at least 5 Recruiters under them before they can request Special Assignments. They must also meet the assignment specific requirements and be selected.

Q: I know my spouse must also apply and get accepted if I am enrolled in the Married Army Couples Program. What if I disenroll....Could I apply for recruiting then?

A: When you are married to another service member, both of you must volunteer, be qualified and be accepted, regardless of whether or not you are enrolled in the MACP. You may request to waive your MACP. You are agreeing to be separated from your family for the duration of your tour. Sometimes, as soon as you waive your MACP, your spouse becomes eligible for worldwide assignment.

Q: What if I am a Prior Recruiter wanting to request reclass to 79R and I am enrolled in the MACP?

A: We need to see both packets submitted at the same time and we will not work the conversion packet until we see that the spouse is qualified and that his/her branch will release them.Additionally you both will be required to sign a DA4856 that states that you understand that if the spouse fails to convert for any reason that you both will have to disenroll from the MACP at the end of the spouse’s TOD.

Q: Can I continue to go to school or college while on recruiting duty?

A: Yes but it is up to your chain-of-command. USAREC recommends that you utilize GoArmyEd to continue your education as well. As a matter of fact, you will be encouraged to continue your education because it will benefit you both personally and professionally. You benefit from the education and you are also more visible to the recruiting market. Attending a college or school could put you in contact with recruiting prospects.

Q: Can I be stationed overseas as a recruiter?

A: US Army Recruiting Command does, in fact, have recruiting centers in overseas (OCONUS) locations. These assignments are not traditionally available to detail Recruiters. OCONUS locations require additional experience and training, but more importantly, assignments below the battalion level fall under the purview of the Recruiting Battalion Commander and Command Sergeant Major. FYI: Hawaii and Guam belong to Portland Recruiting Battalion; Alaska belongs to Seattle Recruiting Battalion; Europe belongs to Albany Recruiting Battalion and Puerto Rico belongs to Miami Recruiting Battalion. For more information about these assignments, please contact the Recruit the Recruiter Team.

Q: Can I get promoted or attend NCOES schools while on recruiting duty?

A: Of course you can get promoted and attend ALC or SLC, but not until completion of the 6 month New Recruiter Program. As a matter of fact, your tour as a Recruiter should help speed up the process of promotions and subsequent attendance at NCOES schools.

Q: I am deployed. Can I apply?

A: You can apply while you are deployed if you are within 120 days of your redeployment. You will be required to submit proof of the redeployment date, a photograph in ACUs and a mental evaluation, along with all other required documents.

Q: When does my Special Duty Assignment Pay (SDAP) begin?

A: Your recruiting battalion S-1 will initiate your SDAP after you have completed the ARC and you have reported to the battalion.

FORT KNOX, Kentucky -- Army Human Resources Command has further expanded an online tool that enables active duty, enlisted Soldiers to designate assignment location and assignment preferences.

The Assignment Satisfaction Key, or ASK, program was initially fielded to fill vacant positions in deploying units, but a redesign has transformed it into a career development tool for enlisted Soldiers across the Army -- Soldiers in ranks in ranks E-1 through E-8 non-promotable.

According to Arthur Dille, a human resources supervisor with HRC's Enlisted Procedures and Soldier Actions Branch, the redesign was executed by a team of HRC specialists who went through the program, screen-by-screen.

They then analyzed and reorganized the structure to ensure it is both streamlined and functionally effective, collapsing multiple screens into one to make it easier to navigate.

"We wanted an improved look and feel, we wanted it to be usable. We cleaned it up and consolidated it so it is more user-friendly," Dille said.

"It allows for Soldiers to see requisitions, volunteer for them, and indicate their preferences for assignments. The idea is to empower Soldiers in the assignment process."

ASK has been updated to ensure that Soldiers who log in see only assignments for which they are currently eligible based on MOS, rank, time on station as of report date, and military education. The possibilities for self-nomination are limited to open requisitions organized by location.

"If there are no authorizations for your MOS and grade, that location is not offered to you as a preference option," Dille said. "It is so Soldiers can have realistic expectations."

Once submitted, requests show up in the Army's Enlisted Distribution and Assignment System, or EDAS, within minutes. HRC assignment managers can then immediately begin working the requisition.

Due to the inclusion of lower requisition priorities, the available pool of assignment opportunities has been expanded fourfold. With more options available, the hope is that more Soldiers will be interested in using the tool, Dille said. It's an opportunity for them to become actively involved in the assignment process and take control over their futures.

"We're looking not only at a bigger window, but a lot more requisitions," Dille said. "We want to have more Soldiers have more say in the assignment system with a corresponding increased approval rate."

Once a Soldier selects an assignment, the assignment manager will review the Soldier's preferences, military education, Married Army Couple Program status, time-on-station and other qualifications. If a nomination matches the Army's requirement, the manager can contact the Soldier with the good news.

If a manager wants to reject an ASK assignment, the rejection must be approved by a branch chief.

"Typically, rejection is going to be based on the strength of the losing unit or the Soldier's professional development," Dille said.

Soldiers can also indicate their availability for broadening opportunities such as drill sergeant and recruiter assignments, or other special duty interests such as Airborne or Korea assignments.

"While talent management is considerably more difficult among the enlisted ranks due to the scope and size of the force, engaging Soldiers through ASK in determining their own assignments and development helps the process," said HRC Commander, Maj. Gen. Thomas C. Seamands.

"As the Army focuses more on talent management, the [Enlisted Personnel Management Directorate] team knew we had to provide expanded capabilities for Soldiers to have influence and a greater voice in their career development," said Col. Alan Kellogg, director of HRC's EPMD. "This tool is not only designed to build unit readiness, but also support our Soldiers and their families."

"We want Soldiers to know about the opportunities that the ASK tool provides and we want Soldier to maximize usage," said Sgt. Maj. Lynice Thorpe, EPMD senior NCO.

So far, the redesign is having a positive effect.

"We're accepting over five times more than we were before. Almost two-thirds of the assignments that Soldiers nominate for are being accepted," Dille said.

Even so, ASK is not a guarantee of a particular assignment. There remain circumstances under which HRC personnel will have to ensure that Soldiers fill the high priority needs of the Army -- regardless of their preferences, Dille said.

Flexibility remains key to Soldiers finding their best next assignments, advised HRC's Command Sgt. Maj. Wardell Jefferson. Someone who nominates himself repeatedly for an assignment for which he is not qualified and then complains the system does not work is missing the point and the power of the ASK tool.

"That's important too. There are requirements and priorities. There is a possibility you may get what you want, but there is also the need to have realistic expectations," Jefferson said.

"Enabling enlisted Soldiers to influence the development of their careers is a plus for both the individual and the Army," Seamands said. "When a Soldier who wants to go to Fort Hood gets to Fort Hood, that is a happier Soldier."


  • February 15, 2018Sergeant major treasures tour in Saudi
  • February 15, 20188th TSC honors retirees during Celebration of Service
  • February 14, 201871st EOD welcomes new CSM
  • February 12, 2018Arecibo, Arroyo, Cabo Rojo, Coamo, Moca, Penuelas, Guanica schedule "last pass"
  • February 8, 2018FORSCOM General Attends I Corps Readiness Briefing
  • February 8, 2018Sgt. Maj. of the Army Daniel A. Dailey visits Natick, says he's a "big fan"
  • February 8, 2018Meeting of the minds
  • February 6, 2018Command Sgt. Maj. Michael Pintagro
  • February 3, 2018Corps of Engineers add additional "last pass" dates for Puerto Rico
  • February 2, 2018Building Readiness through Relationships
  • February 1, 2018Headquarters Company welcomes new "Top" enlisted leader
  • February 1, 2018Veterinary Teamwork prevents travel delays for furry family members
  • January 31, 2018Fort Lee officer-enlisted couple promoted simultaneously
  • January 26, 2018Corps of Engineers set dates for debris "last pass" in four municipalities
  • January 24, 2018Former commander relates Cold War experience to new doctrine
  • January 23, 2018Joint Readiness Training Center evolves to meet today's battlefield threats


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *