Answer all essays, following the directions indicated in the questions. NOTE: Applicants who apply to more than one MBA program will only complete the essay question requirement related to their first-program preference.
- Define your short-term post-MBA career goals. How are your professional strengths, past experience and personal attributes aligned with these goals? (300 word limit)
- The business school is named for Roberto C. Goizueta, former Chairman and CEO of The Coca-Cola Company, who led the organization for 16 years, extending its global reach, quadrupling consumption, building brand responsibility, and creating unprecedented shareholder wealth. Mr. Goizueta's core values guide us in educating Principled Leaders for Global Enterprise. Provide an example of your leadership - professional or personal - and explain what you learned about yourself through the experience. (300 word limit)
- Complete one of the following statements. (250 word limit)
- I am passionate about...
- The best piece of advice I've received is...
- The best day of my life was...
- A personal goal I want to accomplish is...
- Share with the committee and your future classmates a fun or noteworthy fact about you. (25 word limit)
Optional Essay: If you have additional information or feel there are extenuating circumstances which you would like to share with the MBA Admissions Committee (i.e. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic performance issues or areas of weakness in application). Please limit your response to 250 words.
Emory University, Goizueta Business School
Hometown: Hockessin, DE
Undergraduate School and Major: Johns Hopkins University, Anthropology
Employers and Job Titles Since Graduation:
Senior Associate, Fairmount Ventures, Philadelphia PA
Research Assistant, Tate Galleries, London UK
Recalling your own experience, what advice do you have for applicants who are preparing for either the GMAT or the GRE? Even if you are a natural test-taker, try to give yourself ample time to take multiple practice tests and study the areas that need improvement.In addition, taking GMAT practice tests online helped me get used to the computer format and prepared me for the actual test day.
Based on your own selection process, what advice do you have for applicants who are trying to draw up a list of target schools to which to apply? I would definitely recommend taking advantage of campus visits and diversity events to see the school’s culture and academic experience first-hand. At these events you have the opportunity to speak to current students, meet professors, and sit in on classes, all of which can help evaluate whether a school is a good fit.
Don’t forget to think about what you need to succeed. Fit is really important and knowing the types of environments you thrive in should be part of this decision-making process. For me, attending the Women at Goizueta event was a huge factor in deciding to apply to and ultimately attend Goizueta.
What advice do you have for applicants in actually applying to a school, writing essays, doing admission interviews, and getting recommenders to write letters on your behalf?
Understanding what you want to get out of your MBA experience and narrowing your list of schools will make the entire process more manageable. I also found planning ahead and strategically using vacation time (either for admissions interviews, to visit schools, or even the day before an application deadline) helped keep my stress levels down. It’s an exhausting process, but it will be so worth it when you arrive on campus!
What led you to choose this program for your full-time MBA? I selected Goizueta because I felt the school’s culture, location, and class size were the best fit for me. I knew I wanted a rigorous business school experience where I would be supported as I make a career change and learn the quantitative skills my undergrad education lacked. Although it has only been a few weeks since we arrived on campus, I have no regrets about my decision—my classmates are encouraging and open-minded, my career coach has been invaluable, my professors are engaging and challenging, and the city of Atlanta has exceeded my expectations.
What would you ultimately like to achieve before you graduate? My goal for the next two years is to step outside of my comfort zone. Goizueta provides so many opportunities to travel abroad, become more involved in Atlanta, and take on leadership roles. I look forward to taking advantage of these opportunities and experiencing as much as I can!